Today my district participated an unconference. Three districts came together to discuss challenges in our classrooms and ways to combat them. I enjoyed last year’s unconference and was looking forward to this one, too. Session 1 was about to begin. I had started to plug in my chrome charger (luckily not plugged into my chrome, yet) when sparks flew and I heard a ZAP!
The plate that surrounds the two plug-ins and covers the hole in the wall wasn’t screwed into the wall. As I started to plug in my chrome, this metal plate wiggled loose. The plate fell directly onto the metal prongs of my charger, caused a shock, and the metal plate fell to the floor, and had looped through my cord.
The outlet was smeared with a smokey residue (I should have taken a picture of it). I took a look at the end of my cord… One of the prongs had a cut with black soot around it.
Shortly after an administrator grabbed a custodian who replaced the entire outlet. It was a bizarre way to start the day. In all, I am blessed I didn’t get shocked and/or start a fire today🔥🔌. That was a close one!